So once a week I either do a hair mask or a hot oil treatment in my hair. I switch things up a lot but I have a few main ingredients I use in my masks and they’re all easily accessible, around the house items. I’ll list the ingredients I use and also explain why they’re so beneficial for hair health. Keep in mind that I am all about the “eye-balling” measurement system so I can’t really put amounts any more descriptive than “some” or “a good scoop full”.
- Egg – Good source of protein. Contains biotin which helps enhances growth. Strengthens hair follicles.
- Mayo– Helps give you shinier, smoother and softer hair because of its beneficial amino acids like L-cysteine.
- Honey– Helps dry and damaged hair, honey attracts moisture and is full of antioxidants.
- Olive Oil– Promotes a healthy scalp and prevents dandruff because it is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E.
I normally just do one egg and about a spoonful of everything else. I mix it up, completely drench my hair in it, tie my hair up into a bun and throw on a shower cap. You can keep a mask in for however long you’d like, the longer the better to be honest. I usually do at least an hour and then wash it out with shampoo and then condition as normal. Just be careful about using really hot water to wash it out, you don’t want the eggs cooking in your hair!! While these are the main ingredients to my mask, I also usually include in a few of my favorite organic oils also, which I’ll list below after my Hot Oil Treatment Process.
Hot Oil Treatment:
I combine the same 5 oils every time I do a treatment. It is recommended to heat these oils on stovetop to keep them from losing some of their nutrients, but if I’m going to be honest with you I just don’t have the patience for that. I microwave for about 20-30 seconds and then allow it to cool a little before application. I use a wet head just out of preference, I’ve done it both ways but I’ve learned when my hair is already wet it’s easier to apply the oil and make sure its spreading everywhere. Again I pull my hair up in a bun, but this time I’ll also soak a towel in hot water, squeeze it out and then wrap that around my head. This helps the treatment fully infiltrate the hairs follicles by trapping everything in. I do this for about an hour also, re-soaking the towel in hot water whenever I have the energy to.
The oils I use are:
- Unrefined virgin coconut oil– Vitamins and essential fatty acids nourish the scalp, remove buildup and moisturize.
- Sweet Almond oil– Helps add silkiness and shine. Contains many healthy ingredients like Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Jojoba Oil– Removes scalp build up. Strengthens hair strands. This oil is pretty close to the natural human skin oil we produce.
- Castor Oil– Soothes an itchy scalp and reduces dandruff. Helps for hair thickness.
- Avocado Oil– You can also massage this into your scalp for extra benefits. Helps blood flow in scalp which increases speed of growth in your hair follicles. Contains great monounsaturated fatty acids and a lot of antioxidants like vitamin E.
My favorite products with links for where to purchase all located below:
Unrefined, virgin coconut oil
Sweet Almond Oil
One Years Growth (Pre-Deva Cut) Feb 13th 2016/17